Monday, March 19, 2007

WHY I THINK THERE WILL BE CATS IN HEAVEN

Now there's a topic! You would be surprised how many people either agree or disagree with this theory, but here goes my theory about why I think there will be cats in heaven (and please notice I did not say my specific pets will be there, I hope so, but I have nothing Biblical to support that wish).

So, I'll start out by quoting Genesis 1: 24-31. A long passage, but it all goes together to make the point I am shooting for.

24 And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds; livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

First off, notice that in verse 29 that God gives "everything that has breath of life in it" green plant for food. So this means ALL the animals, INCLUDING man and woman, were initially vegetarians, they ate only green plants, fruits, etc. Not that I am advocating vegetarianism, but I want to point this out as some people use the argument that there won't be animals in heaven because they eat meat. They only started eating meat, AFTER the fall of man and when sin entered the world and the world was no longer perfect as God created it.

So then, let me point out that animals were created in God's perfect world, the world where in verse 31 "God saw all that he had made, and it was VERY (my emphasis) good." So animals were very good. They were not carnivorous. In Genesis 2:19 God brought all the animals to Adam to see what he would name them. No man eating lions there.

So this is why I think there will be animals in heaven. If God created them for his perfect world the first time, why would they not be a part of heaven? If man is going to be in heaven, and we are a fallen race that had to be redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, why can we not expect to see animals there? The Bible says after the end times Lion will lay down with the Lamb in heaven. Whether this is a literal reference or figurative, I'll go for literal as I feel that the Bible is to be taken literally whenever possible. I think it clearly denotes when it starts referring to something figuratively. I'll endeavor to look up the specific reference for the Lion and the Lamb. I guess if I were to postulate, I would say that when Jesus returns and begins his millennial reign here on the new earth, I think the new earth will be what God originally intended this earth to be. Animals, plants and all. My opinion on this, I don't have any specific verse to support this. If it happens that way, great, if not, whatever God has in mind is fine with me!

So, I hope I have a kitty in heaven to give me as much joy and comfort as the ones God has blessed me with here. Of course then, I won't be focused on that I am sure. But I still think there will be animals!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your theory of cats being in heaven with its' biblical underpinnings is encouraging enough. I'll go with a more simplistic thought. Roman Catholic Theologian and former Notre Dame President Rev. Theodore Hesburgh once was asked if pets would be in Heaven.
"Heaven is whatever you want it to be.", Hesburgh answered. "The Lord will see to that". In my heaven, my buddies JT, Oreo, Milo, and Bear are already there waiting for me.